[Sca-cooks] What were they thinking??

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 06:23:53 PST 2007

I agree that the likes of FoodTV and such have createda new era of "yuppie cooks" who all think they are BobbyFlay or something. Cooking has now bridged the gap between Mom in the kitchen and Escoffier. Kitchens usedto be an afterthought in home design and now they arepart of the showcase.  The average consumer has become more attuned to whatmakes for good kitchenware now beyond Paul Revereware.A general hobbyist cook will now demand top quality equipmentfor his or her playing. Couples are now double bread-winnersso any cooking done is either something fast and microwavedor an event. Most of these cooks also will learn everythingthey know from Rachel Ray or FoodTV and only know thebasics of what quality equipment is. Therefore the will demand what they know is good quality.All-Clad is wonderful equipment that is well worth the investment.It will last forever and your children's children will use it. Muchlike my 120 year old cast iron set. But what the yuppie cooks DON'T know is that there is quality almost as good for half the price at the very un-yuppiecommercial kitchen outlet in the industrial section of town. Good equipment isn't vital, but it helps. I have cooked on paperthin spackleware and old Target pots and pans. I've had somekitchen knives in plastic handles that were the finest thingsI've ever held. My cast iron makes me very happy. But so doesmy Le Creuset.  I have used $15 butcher knives when workingin restaurants that were a joy. But I also nearly break intotears of happiness every time I bring out my $140 Shun.  All Clad and suchlike are designed to be overpriced and appealto the yuppie wannabe chef. But it is for the most part highquality and the yuppie knows to look for that. So, some people are willing to pay big bucks for their hobby's toys.I'll love the occasional piece of really nice stuff when I can get itand keep searching bargin bins, commercial kitchen stores andGoodwill for cheap good stuff. Gunthar