[Sca-cooks] OT- 15th century economic and prices

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 13 20:14:01 PST 2007

Dear Professor Andrade,

In 1402, there were two different currency livres in use in France, the
"livre tournois" and the "livre parisis."  Both livres consisted of 20 sous,
with the "sou tournois" having 12 deniers and the "sou parisis" having 20
deniers.  The 'livre tournois" was the preferred monetary pound.  The
currency changed value based on a complex formula using the "mark of
Troyes," 4608 grains of pure silver, as the mint weight which was not
debased.  As a mark is 1/2 pound by definition, a livre of silver by weight
would be 9216 grains or, given the French grain of 53.115 milligrams, 489.5
grams of pure silver.  489.5 grams is equivalent to the "Livre de Paris" or
the "livre poids de marc" that became the standard measure of weight in
France in 1350.

Kibler, William Westcott, Medieval France: an Encyclopedia

Rowlett, Russ, A Dictionary of Units of Measure
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/

Between 1400 and 1450, a "mark of Troyes" was equivalent to 8 "livres
tournois" thus the livre was equal to 30.6 grams of pure silver.

Mulhall, Michael George, The Dictionary of Statistics

Assuming the livres that Jean de Bethancourt had were currency rather than
silver ingots, he had the equivalent of 214.2 kilograms of silver or a
little over 573 troy pounds which, at today's value of $14 per troy ounce,
is a little more than $96,000.  I'm not sure what the inflation rate is for
six centuries, but I would hazard a rough guess that Ol' Jean had himself
around half a million dollars in purchasing power.  You might check with
John Munro at the University of Toronto for a better guess as to the
purchasing power.

Good luck with the research,

Terry Decker (Bear)