[Sca-cooks] Old German farm in Texas...

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Dec 17 14:23:34 PST 2007

>http://www.metroparks.net/ParksSlateRunFarm.aspx

Central Ohio has Slate Run Historical Farm just SE of Columbus.  I haven't been there for a few years, because the gravel paths aren't very wheelchair friendly.  A good deal of the programs are aimed at school age kids, but there is certainly plenty for adults.  If you are coming far, I'd certainly call and be sure that the things you are interested are running that day.  They don't have many paid staff, most is volunteer work.

>Time has been turned back to the 1880s at Slate Run Living Historical Farm. Visitors can experience first-hand what life was like on an Ohio farm more than 100 years ago.
>
>As you stroll through the gardens, barns and farmhouse, you will see the farm costumed staff and volunteers going about their daily chores. What you won't see are gas-powered tractors or electric refrigerators.
>
>You may see the farmer plowing the fields with the help of the draft horses. Inside the summer kitchen, the ladies may be canning and preserving crops from the heirloom garden.
>
>The farm is home to all kinds of heirloom animal breeds including the Poland China hog, Merino sheep and Percheron draft horses. There are also flocks of ducks, chickens, turkeys and geese
>
>The farm offers many programs where kids and families can help with activities at the farm. Whether it's maple syrup time or sheep shearing, all work on the farm varies by season and is dependent on the weather. Call 614.833.1880 for more information.

If you are interested in putting stuff up, they have a program on Dec 29 1-3, no charge.