[Sca-cooks] Old German farm in Texas...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 17 18:07:42 PST 2007

Phlip mentioned the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm near Johnson
City:

<<< Thought some of you might find thgis of interest, and maybe worth
visiting ;-) Apparently they work the farm just as it was done 100
years ago- no electric- and put up various foodstuffs. >>>

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this particular living history site. It
sounds like this is about 1-2 hours southwest of Austin.

We also have another similar site, the Jourdan-Bachmann Pioneer Farms
in northeast Austin. Unfortunately it is now getting surrounded by
subdivisions and rather unfriendly developers.  It used to be run by
the city but the city decided to shut it down early this decade when
city revenues fell because of the tech bust. It has been run by
volunteers since then. One of our once very active SCA families has
been a major force in keeping it going and having similar classes to
those mentioned below at the farm. Including blacksmithing
classes. :-)  Also cheesemaking, dutch oven cookery and outdoor
cookery. We've thought of getting over there for some of the various
classes, but haven't done it yet.

http://www.pioneerfarms.org/

<<< I'd like to go
see it- I'm sure you guys can guess what initially piqued my interest
;-)

http://www.cleburnetimesreview.com/features/
local_story_350170219.html?keyword=secondarystory

I assume it was the blacksmithing since they didn't really say much
about their chickens or mention any ducks or geese.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com