[Sca-cooks] OT - Canned White Shoepeg Corn

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 28 00:01:46 PST 2007

Jane Boyko asked about sources for shoepeg corn.

I never realized it was anything out of the ordinary. But then those
up in Maple syrup country might feel the same about that.

Daniel said:
<<< I seem to recall it being available frozen. >>>

But that would be more difficult for one of us to ship it to her,
which is an option. Unfortunately shipping cans and the water they
contain doesn't sound great, either. I'd be willing to do it from
here in Texas, though.

I did find this with a websearch, and their shipping might be less
than I can get from USPS.
http://www.shopfoodex.com  says they ship nationally, but that may or
may not include Canada.
http://www.shopfoodex.com/green-giant-white-shoepeg-corn-p-22234.html
Green Giant White Shoepeg Corn (11 oz.) $ 1.36

 From a blog message:
Shoepeg corn is white, sweet, corn with *very* small kernels. I buy
it in
cans. The only brand I have ever seen is Mitchell's (from Hanover Foods
Corporation, Hanover, Pennsylvania)

 From another web page:
The most challenging part of this recipe is finding the Shoepeg corn
- not all grocery stores carry it. I DO NOT suggest substituting
regular yellow kernel corn, we've tried that and it definitely
doesn't taste the same!

kosher.com also seems to have it:
White Shoepeg Corn
Item #020000105468
Brand Green Giant
Price $1.59
Weight 11 oz.

I couldn't find dried/dehydrated Shoepeg Corn, which would help solve
the shipping problem.

There seem to be a lot more recipes calling for Shoepeg Corn on the
web than there appear to be sources for it there, unfortunately.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com