[Sca-cooks] need recipe

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 31 20:30:14 PST 2007

Olwen the Odd <olwentheodd at hotmail.com>
>Hey all!  I hope this last day of the year brings a good close of
>this door and a good opening of the next.
>
>I am in need of a recipe for something that my be called Apple Muse
>or something like that.  Anyone have any ideas?  I probably don't
>have the spelling correct or may not even have the name right at all.

Hey, why worry? The "period" English spelled it all sorts of ways, too :-)

>Thanks a bunch!Cariad a heddwch (love and peace)Dame Olwen the Odd
>Laurel to Lady Katherine O'CarrollOrder of the Pearl Deputy, Bright
>Hills Cooks Guild House Blackstar Barony of Bright Hills Kingdom of
>Atlantia!

I have five historical recipes on my web site, along with my own
version which I served in my mostly German feast:
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Food/2001_Feasts/2001-Boar_Hunt/2001-2nd.html

Apple Moys
5 recipes in "Two Fifteenth Century English Cookbooks"

Harleian Ms. 279 (c. 1430)

Lxxix. Apple Muse. Take Appelys an sethe hem, and Serge hem thorwe a
Sefe in-to a potte; thanne take Almaunde Mylke & Hony, an caste
ther-to, an gratid Brede, Safroun, Saunderys, & Salt a lytil, & caste
all in the potte & lete hem sethe; & loke that thou stere it wyl, &
serue it forth.

Cxxxiiij. Apple Moyle. Nym Rys, an bray hem wyl, & temper hem with
Almaunde mylke, & boyle it & take Applys, & pare hem, an small screde
hem in mossellys; throw on sugre y-now, & coloure it with safroun, &
caste ther-to gode pouder, & serue f[orth].

Cxxxv. Applade Ryalle. Take Applys, & sethe hem tylle they ben
tendyr, & than let hem kele; then draw hem throw a straynour; & on
flesshe day caste ther-to gode fatte brothe of freysshe beef, an
whyte grece, & Sugre, & Safroun, & gode pouder; & in a Fysshe day,
take Almaunde mylke, & oyle of Olyff, & draw ther-vppe with-al a gode
pouder, & serue forth. An for nede, draw it vppe with Wyne, & a lytil
hony put ther-to for to make it than dowcet; and serue it forth.

Laud Ms. 553 (Bodleian Library)

Pommesmoille. Nym rys & bray hem in a morter, tempre hem vp with
almande milke, boille hem: nym appelis & kerue hem as small as
douste, cast hem yn after ye boillyng, & sugur: colour hit with
safron, cast therto goud poudre, & 3if hit forth.

Apply moys. Nym appeles, seth hem, let hem kele, frete hem throwe an
her syue; cast it on a pot / & on a fless day cast thereto goud fat
broth of bef, & white grese sugur & safron, & on fissh days almand
mylke, & oille de oliue, & sugur, & safron: boille hit, messe hit,
cast aboue good poudre, & 3if it forth.

Anahita's Recipe
makes 72 servings

24 apples - peel, core, cut up
4 cups ground almonds
1 gallon warm water
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. saffron
1 tsp. red sanders
1/2 salt

Good Powder:
1-1/2 tsp. ginger
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. cloves
1-1/2 tsp. mace
3/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 tsp. grains of paradise

1. Make almond milk with ground almonds and warm water.
2. Simmer apples in almond milk until tender.
3. Puree in food processor. SEE NOTE TWO
4. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until thick.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings.

NOTES:
ONE: This recipe could have used a little more liquid. As it was, it
came out fine, but we might have added a couple cups of water while
the apples were cooking. I would suggest using more water to make the
almond milk. After all, there wouldn't be a full gallon of almond
milk with a gallon of water.

TWO: Also, because we used the potato masher by hand, this wasn't a
fine puree, but had a bit of texture, which i like.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing