[Sca-cooks] where and when to start

terry l. ridder terrylr at blauedonau.com
Thu Feb 1 07:00:48 PST 2007

hello;

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2007, at 6:51 AM, terry l. ridder wrote:
>
>> hello;
>>
>> when should planning start for a celebration feast with roughly 600
>> guests? that number includes young children.
>>
>> where does one start planning such an event?
>>
>> my best guess would have the event happening june/july 2008.
>> approximately 18 months from 1 jan 2007.
>
> Sure, it's doable. It would help to know what your cooking and storage
> facilities will be ( -- he said, fearing greatly he knew what the answer
> would be... ;-)  ) .

cooking facilities:: at this time 4 complete field kitchens. [1]
storage facilities:: two 8ftx8ftx8ft ice storage units. think overseas
refrigerated shipping container made out of aluminum, filled with ice.

> Is it a sit-down meal with servers or will people be
> walking around with plates and eating from a buffet?

sit-down family style meals.

> What's your time window for meal service --

the plans right now are for a weekend event. figuring friday night
lite snack while people arrive and for workers.
saturday:: breakfast, dinner, and supper
sunday:: breakfast, dinner, and supper

friday, would be a simple faire.
saturday and sunday, breakfast would be a simple breakfast.
not decided if the medieval feast will be saturday supper or sunday

supper. i am leaning toward a saturday supper medieval feast.

the medieval feast desserts would be baumkuchen and trayne roste.

> how long do you have in which to stuff X courses into people?

plans are for 2 to 2.5 hours per meal.

> Indoors or outdoors?

outdoors in large tents. the tents will be set up in a pasture area.

<snip>

> I'd advise against doing more than three courses under most circumstances. In
> my area, even three courses is pushing it, even if there's no delay between
> them. I can't recall a time when people didn't overeat in the first two
> courses and see the best dishes go to waste because they were too full (even
> though they knew there were still more courses to be served), and then
> there's the problem of 600 people milling about instead of eating your third,
> or fourth, or fifth course.

point understood and taken.

> Well, planning should become easier once we have answers to some of the
> questions above...
>
> Adamantius

[1]

Each mobile field kitchen will be equipped with six recessed burners,
two at the front and four at the rear, each rated at 15kW.

between the 4 mobile field kitchens will be the following::

iced tea, teaspoons, tasting spoons                     24
Whip, Piano Stainless 14" by Vollrath Co.               12
Whip, French Stainless 18" by Vollrath Co.              12
Pastry Blender, Stainless by Johnson-Rose Corp.          2
Rolling Pin, Heavy Duty Wood 18" by Thunder Group Inc    6
rolling pins 2 to 3 inch maple                           6
Whip, Piano Stainless 10" by Vollrath Co.               12
Mixing Bowl, Stainless, 13 qt by ABC Valueline          12
Mixing Bowl, Stainless, 8 qt by ABC Valueline           12
Mixing Bowl, Stainless, 4 qt by ABC Valueline           12
Stock Pot, Stainless 12 qt by Vollrath Co.               6
Stock Pot, Stainless 27 qt by Vollrath Co.               6
Stock Pot, Stainless 53 qt by Vollrath Co.               6
Stock Pot Lid, Stainless 9-3/8" by Vollrath Co.          6
Stock Pot Lid, 12-5/8" by Vollrath Co.                   6
Stock Pot Lid, 15-3/4" by Vollrath Co.                   6
wooden spoons                                           24
cook bib aprons                                         24
floor mats                                              12
cotton towels                                          400
paper towels                                           100 rolls
turkey frying kit                                        6
Stainless Steel 7-in-1 Cooker/Smoker                     6
deluxe mandolin                                         12

each cook will have a 5 piece professional knife roll;
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=9791

stainless steel 3 sink units.
hot and cold running water.

--