[Sca-cooks] Turnips or Rutabagas?

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Feb 1 10:18:16 PST 2007

On 2/1/07, silverr0se at aol.com <silverr0se at aol.com> wrote:
> Last night I found lamb shanks on sale at my local Ralph's and decided to to make my own version of Scoth Broth (I've beem trying to re-create the flavor of the now-defunct Campbell's soup I rememeber from my childhoodm with very little sucess but some darn good soups).

Now defunct? Where are you? Margali just got me a couple of cans, last
trip to the store, because she knows I love lamb.

> Normally I would add turnips to this but the market didn't have any. They did, however, have rutabagas, which I did not buy, having never tasted one.
>
> Can the root-veggie savvy here on the list explain the difference in flavor, so I'll know for next time?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Renata

Rutabagas are somewhat similar in flavor, but a bit more bitter. Never
tried them with lamb, but suspect they'd go very well. You might want
to cut then fairly small, and maybe include chucks of a sweeter
vegetable such as carrots, to ameliorate the bitterness a bit. Or, you
could add a dash of sugar, but that's something I avoid doing.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Psalm 146
King James Bible