[Sca-cooks] Period German menus

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Feb 7 19:34:05 PST 2007

I've been reading through Welserin and Rumpolt,  etc. and have found
great recipes, but I haven't come across anything with information on
menus.  Are there any lists of dishes served at a late period German
meal, or what the general order of service was?  How did it vary from
England, France, Italy, etc?

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for German SCA menus.

I'm continuing to read and translate Rumpolt.. my German is improving
but still very rusty.
I found a useful German to English dictionary that is pretty good at
dealing with archaic spelling.
http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/de-en/lists/325gewuerze.html herbs and spices
http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/de-en/lists/320gemuese.html vegetables
http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/de-en/lists/310tier.html animals
http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/de-en/lists/cook.html cooking

I'm truly spoiled, I find it much easier to do an online search, than
page through a paper dictionary.

Ranvaig