[Sca-cooks] Period German menus

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Feb 8 00:34:00 PST 2007

Kat, it is so kind of you to respond.  Your site started me looking
at German cooking several years ago, your research is inspiring.

>If you have Rumpolt you have A TON of menus.  The
>entire first section, pages 11 through 42, has menus.

I have been working from Dr Gloning's web site, and he doesn't seem
to have webbed those pages.
I probably need an actual printed copy.  Amazon has a used paperback
copy for $173, I guess I will try to get it ILL.  For that matter do
you know of a translated copy?  I'm (trying) to translate it myself
just for the learning experience, its fun, but slow going.

>I webbed a very rough on the fly translation of his
>four banquets for kings at:
>http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASkings1.htm

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted, I knew I had seen menus
before, but was looking in the wrong place.  I was hoping for more
about side dishes, but it is certainly helps.

Do you know anything more about the Hungarian torte with many leaves
(layers), that sounds interesting.  I wonder if it has a meat filling
or is sweet?

This is my working menu, but I'm still researching.  But I have to
present my feast bid this Sunday.    I'd really appreciate any
comments.

The budget is 100 meals for $750 or less, or about $7 per person.
Friday, I'll take a field trip to Jungle Jim's and other stores to
check prices, but I don't think I'm too far off. I'd like to have
some game, but fear it will be too expensive.

First course:
Bread, Schmaltz with onions, flavored butter, and Preserves
Plate of marinated veggies: radish, cukes (r20), red cabbage,
cauliflower (r47), turnip, beets, asparagus, and such, possibly
boiled eggs
Plate of cold meats: Cabbage stuffed with smoked Chicken (R114),
Rinderbraten (R41), Schinken (smoked ham), Liver sausage, cured
Salmon, Herring and such
Soup

Second course:
Sausage
Roast chicken
Rice in almond milk (r173)
Roast carrots and parsnips (r182)
Mustard, horseradish, and other sauces
Tart of some kind

Third course:
Fish in rye pastry (w64, 65)
Roast Pork
Boiled chard and cheese dumplings (w118 or r200)
Mushrooms
Endive with oil and vinegar (r1)
Stauben of apples (r42) ?

Fruit, Nuts, Confits, Pastries