[Sca-cooks] Period German menus

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 7 23:18:08 PST 2007

Am Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2007 04:34 schrieb ranvaig at columbus.rr.com:
> I've been reading through Welserin and Rumpolt,  etc. and have found
> great recipes, but I haven't come across anything with information on
> menus.  Are there any lists of dishes served at a late period German
> meal, or what the general order of service was?  How did it vary from
> England, France, Italy, etc?

Rumpoldt has model menus suitable for feasts of all classes in the first
chapter (though one wonders about his experience with peasants). You can also
find some menus described in the diaries of Paolo Santonino, secretary to a
late 14th century Italian bishop, who describes a visitation to the
German-speaking Alps (modern Austria and the Alto Adige) and devotes much
time to discussing the food the visitors were served. Unfortunately, I only
have a German translation on hand (the original is in Latin).

Other than that I never much bothered because all the menus I found were far
too opulent to suit the budget, expectations and appetite of the average SCA
crowd.

Giano