[Sca-cooks] flour

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 11 16:44:11 PST 2007

I did a little checking in McGee.  Carbohydrates are broken down in the
brown process.  Since thickening depends on the carbohydrates, the darker
the brown the more carbohydates are transformed the less the thickening
power.

Toasting flour in an oven will do the same thing, but for baking the flour
is lightly toasted.  If you toasted the flour to the point you would for a
brown gravy, your bake goods will come out over baked.

Bear