[Sca-cooks] Help with a sallat from Markham?

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 12 14:08:45 PST 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:33:26 -0500
> From: Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>
> To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Help with a sallat from Markham?
>
> I've tried, once, to make this compound sallat from Markham, and I have
> some questions:
>
> The recipe:
> Another compound Sallat.
> To compound an excellent sallat, and which indeed is usual at great
> feasts, and upon princes' tables; take a good quantity of blanched
> almonds, and with your shredding knife cut them grossly; then take as
> many raisins of the sun, clean washed and the stones picked out, as many
> figs shred like the almonds, as many capers, twice so many olives, and
> as many currants as of all the rest, clean washed, a good handful of the
> small tender leaves of red sage and spinach; mix all these well together
> with good store of sugar, and lay them in the bottom of a great dish;
> then put unto them vinegar and oil, and scrape more sugar over all; then
> take oranges, and lemons, and, paring away the outward peels, cut them
> into thin slices, then with those slices cover the sallat all over;
> which done, take the fine thin leave of the red cauliflower, and with
> them cover the oranges and lemons all over; then over those red leaves
> lay another course of old olives, and the slices of well pickled
> cucumbers, together with the very inward heart of your cabbage lettuce
> cut into slices; then adorn the sides of the dish, and top of the sallat
> with more slices of lemons and oranges, and so serve it up.
>
> Red sage-- is that just the redder type of sage, as we know it?
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/s/sages-05.html#com suggests its
the same as regular old common sage.

http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h287.htm says it's "Balvia
officinal, also known as Garden Sage and Purple Topped sage.

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/index/Ingredients/Plants/Red_Sage says
pretty much the same thing (picture included)

Note sure if this is the historical red sage, but it's a start.

> Also, cabbage lettuce vs. red cauliflower?  Can I use red cabbage? Red
> Kale? for the red cauliflower? Should I use bibb or similar lettuce for
> the cabbage lettuce?
http://www.photosnapper.com/web/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=725&si=HARD
has a lovely picture of a red cauliflower. Since broccoli and cauliflower
are related, I'd say something that tastes like brocolli leaves. I'd
advise a taste test (most cauliflower or fresh broccoli come with some
leaves attached)

toodles, margaret