[Sca-cooks] Help with a sallat from Markham?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Feb 12 13:33:26 PST 2007

I've tried, once, to make this compound sallat from Markham, and I have
some questions:

The recipe:
Another compound Sallat.
To compound an excellent sallat, and which indeed is usual at great
feasts, and upon princes' tables; take a good quantity of blanched
almonds, and with your shredding knife cut them grossly; then take as
many raisins of the sun, clean washed and the stones picked out, as many
figs shred like the almonds, as many capers, twice so many olives, and
as many currants as of all the rest, clean washed, a good handful of the
small tender leaves of red sage and spinach; mix all these well together
with good store of sugar, and lay them in the bottom of a great dish;
then put unto them vinegar and oil, and scrape more sugar over all; then
take oranges, and lemons, and, paring away the outward peels, cut them
into thin slices, then with those slices cover the sallat all over;
which done, take the fine thin leave of the red cauliflower, and with
them cover the oranges and lemons all over; then over those red leaves
lay another course of old olives, and the slices of well pickled
cucumbers, together with the very inward heart of your cabbage lettuce
cut into slices; then adorn the sides of the dish, and top of the sallat
with more slices of lemons and oranges, and so serve it up.

Red sage-- is that just the redder type of sage, as we know it?
Also, cabbage lettuce vs. red cauliflower?  Can I use red cabbage? Red
Kale? for the red cauliflower? Should I use bibb or similar lettuce for
the cabbage lettuce?
Are Old Olives different from the regular ones? I'm assuming I am
neither pitting nor slicing the olives. I was thinking of the olive type
called 'dry' for the old olive.
in 1611-1615, would the oranges be bitter or sweet? What's the best way
to slice these peeled citrus?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net