[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 10, Issue 37

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 19:05:49 PST 2007

Greetings

To give credit where it is due, while the
transcription and translation are mine I think that
interpretation is actually Urtatims (or Anahita at
that time) I have never made it with 'prepared
horseradish.'  I prefer matchsticks of fresh real
horseradish root in amongst the whole or sliced beets,
though they can be a bit of a surprise when folks bite
them thinking they are more beet bits (the white root
picks up beet color quite well.)
As an aside, fresh beets are great, but, at least
locally, canned are usually lower priced, and for a
feast much less labor intensive for very similar
quality after a week in the pickle.

My interpretation is webbed at:
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASsp99_beet.htm

In Service
Gwen Cat
who looked at the date and just realized how LONG she
has been at this ~.~

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:16:31 -0500
> From: Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] beet-pickled eggs
> To: Cooks within the SCA
> <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
>
> Here's a recipe for pickled beets anyway.
> Johnnae
>

>       Pickled beets
>
> (Ein New Kochbuch, Marxen Rumpolt, 1581) */3. Rote
> Ruben eyngemacht mit
> klein geschnittenen Merrettich/ Aniss/ Coriander/
> und ein wenig Kuemel/
> sonderlich wenn die Ruben geschnitten/ gesotten mit
> halb Wein und halb
> Essig /* /Pickled Beets - 3. Red beets preserved
> with small cut
> horseradish/ anise/ coriander/ and a little caraway/
> especially if the
> beets are cut/ marinated in half wine and half
> vinegar./
>
> /[Translation by Gwen Catrin von Berlin (Martina
> Grasse)]/
>
> 20 lbs beets

6 heaping tbsp prepared horseradish (because I
couldn't get fresh)

1/2 gal vinegar

1/2 gal red wine

3 tsp aniseed

6 tbsp coriander

5 tbsp caraway

Cook and peel beets, slice and quarter. put into jars
and cover with
half vinegar/half wine. Add horseradish, aniseed,
coriander and
caraway.
Allow to marinate 24 hours or more.

>> Blush. This is very rough and ready. When my
roommate finishes a
>> can or
>> bottle of pickled beets, I take the liquid, maybe
add a glug of
>> cider vinegar,
>> place in a large-mouthed glass jar. Hard-boil some
eggs, peel, and
>> put into
>> pickle liquid. A couple of days will begin the
process; a week