[Sca-cooks] beet-pickled eggs

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 15 13:15:46 PST 2007

Gwen Cat wrote:
>To give credit where it is due, while the
>transcription and translation are mine I think that
>interpretation is actually Urtatims (or Anahita at
>that time) I have never made it with 'prepared
>horseradish.'(SNIP)

Must be someone else's version, 'cuz it isn't mine. Below is my
version. It's pretty much Gwen Cat's recipe doubled, but using fresh
beets, less horseradish, and with the addition of salt.

To tell the truth, i'd have liked more horseradish, but i had a
horseradish sauce elsewhere in the feast and i didn't want to subject
the diners to too much :-)

Marinated Beets with horseradish
Marx Rumpolt, Ein New Kochbuch

3. Rote Ruben:
Red beets preserved with small cut horseradish/
anise/ coriander/ and a little caraway/
special if the beets are cut/ marinated in half wine and half vinegar.

makes about 1 gallon

10 large red beets, cut into medium-small chunks
2 cup red wine
2 cup red wine vinegar (white or cider will do)
1-1/2 foot long fresh horseradish root, peeled and cut into slivers
1-1/2 TB salt
1 tsp whole anise seed
1 tsp whole caraway seed
2 tsp whole coriander seed

1. Cut up beets.
2. Combine all ingredients except beets in a pot. Bring to a boil,
then lower heat and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Add the beets and heat through.4. Place in jar or crock and let
mellow for at least 24 hours, up to two weeks in a cool place.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita