[Sca-cooks] Dietary Fiber?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 20 12:11:33 PST 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Elise Fleming wrote:

> Greetings!  My pregnant daughter-in-law has been in the hospital on
> bed rest for over a month (due date is May 5).  She is in need of
> more fiber in her diet than the hospital is offering and obviously
> she can't exercise to keep her system "properly moving".  Tomorrow
> I'm going to bake some bran muffins.  Are there any other high
> fiber dishes that you could suggest that would be relatively easy
> for me to prepare in the few days I have left here in Texas?  Thanks!

"Texas" is probably an issue here. Not to criticize any one locale,
but I'm sure we all have suggestions that might appear practical from
our end, but _may_ not be practical, depending on available groceries.

Off the top of my head...

Any 100% whole wheat baked products, bulgur pilaf or whole wheat
pasta. Kasha. Cookies made from pure almond or other nut flour.
Chopped raw vegetable salads, ranging from cole slaw to grated carrot
salad (the sweet nasty kind with raisins, or the savory one without)
to the Israeli variant on tabbouleh that is identical except for the
absence of bulgur, so instead of the garnish the veggies are the main
ingredient...

Lots of fresh fruit, whole or as a fruit salad (bearing in mind that
Jello is not technically a fruit, despite prevailing views in some
parts of the world... ditto marshmallows ;-)  ) Coconut is high in
fiber.

I'd stay away from dried legumes (which have some fiber but are also
generally starchy). Small amounts of dried fruit are good, and leave,
if possible, the skins on potatoes (just scrub and cut out the eyes
before cooking)...

HTH,

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04