[Sca-cooks] Pie in a Pipkin

Vitaliano Vincenzi vitaliano at shanelambert.com
Wed Feb 21 07:58:57 PST 2007

I have come across a recipe called "Pie in a Pipkin", or Medieval
Italian Stew, that really looks good. I found the recipe here:

http://www.recipesource.com/misc/medieval/italian-stew1.html

However, it gives no source, just a 16th century translation of a
Medieval Italian Cookbook. Has anyone else found this recipe or a source
for this? In the mean time I am going to try this at our Shire's A&S
meeting tomorrow, and if it turns out not to be period then I will just
find something else. But it does look good. :)

Also, what are you thoughts about replacing the raisins with currants? I
personally prefer currants and usually have plenty on hand, just not
sure if they would be used in Medieval Italy. :)

--
Lord Vitaliano Vincenzi
aka Shane Lambert