[Sca-cooks] Pie in a Pipkin

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 21 08:26:57 PST 2007

On Feb 21, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Vitaliano Vincenzi wrote:

> I have come across a recipe called "Pie in a Pipkin", or Medieval
> Italian Stew, that really looks good. I found the recipe here:
>
> http://www.recipesource.com/misc/medieval/italian-stew1.html
>
> However, it gives no source, just a 16th century translation of a
> Medieval Italian Cookbook. Has anyone else found this recipe or a
> source
> for this? In the mean time I am going to try this at our Shire's A&S
> meeting tomorrow, and if it turns out not to be period then I will
> just
> find something else. But it does look good. :)

It's tempting to think of the Epulario when you hear of a 16th-
century translation. Can't be sure, though. Possibly this "Carol-
Mann" person is not a stuffy, unapproachable academic and could tell
you more...

> Also, what are you thoughts about replacing the raisins with
> currants? I
> personally prefer currants and usually have plenty on hand, just not
> sure if they would be used in Medieval Italy. :)

Well, dried Zante currants are a type of raisin, after all, and when
you look at where Corinth is in relation to mainland Italy, let's
just say it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04