[Sca-cooks] Pie in a Pipkin

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 21 08:49:06 PST 2007

On Feb 21, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>>> However, it gives no source, just a 16th century translation of a
>>> Medieval Italian Cookbook. Has anyone else found this recipe or a
>>> source
>>> for this? In the mean time I am going to try this at our Shire's A&S
>>> meeting tomorrow, and if it turns out not to be period then I will
>>> just
>>> find something else. But it does look good. :)
>>
>> It's tempting to think of the Epulario when you hear of a 16th-
>> century translation. Can't be sure, though. Possibly this "Carol-
>> Mann" person is not a stuffy, unapproachable academic and could tell
>> you more...
>
> Um... Brighid is on this list (don't tease Vincenzi)

I ain't teasin' Vincenzi. I wuz teasin' Brighid... in a nice way, I
felt...

> but she may not see
> her email today. I generally trust her redactions more than I do my
> own... though she may have adapted this one.

I confess I was a little surprised to see such an apparently vague
attribution come from Brighid, but I've also come to assume, from
experience, that there's probably a good reason for it. On the other
hand, I do know that "the Internets" has a way of causing things
we've written in the dim, dark past, some of which we may reason on
differently today, to come back to haunt us.

I'm still thinking it may be from Epulario, or perhaps one of those
Italian cookery sources that have been copied and the originals
lost... but probably Brighid will tell us.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04