[Sca-cooks] philosophical salad question

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Feb 22 08:24:03 PST 2007

Thanks to everyone who responded about salads. I'm thinking doing more
boiled sallats and green sops, but I appreciate the feedback a lot!

> I have a general message file on salads. I would welcome an article
> on specific salads or types of salads.

Well, if anyone has the time/energy to go look at it and give me
feedback, I've got my Sallats handout on the web, and I should revise it
soon.

http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/cooking/greens.html

In particular, any corrections on the identifications would be helpful.
I know I have to reletter the recipes in order, or my readers will go
mad.

I've taught the class before at Pennsic, but not having access to
my usual sources of greens supply makes teaching it there awkward. (I
usually buy/pick all the greens listed here that I can get my hands on,
to show to the class, and cook a) chopped spinach from de Nola, b)
buttered worts, and c) some greens (usually turnip) in beef broth.
During the class, we rinse and cut up the greens, put them in a bowl,
dress them with oil, vinegar and salt, and taste them.) This last time I
taught the class, I think I spent $50 on greens but most of them went
home with us or were part of a salad we donated to the dayboard. We eat
boiling greens a lot in our house.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net