[Sca-cooks] philosophical salad question

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 09:16:35 PST 2007

Bless you, Helewyse! That's a wonderful resource. Any idea how it
compares to Castelvetro?

Castelvetro is a home sick Italians loving recollection of the vegetables he ate, and how, back home in Italy, compared to the terrible treatment of vegetables in England.  It is divided by season and gives pretty good descriptions of both the vegetable and how he prepared it.
Archidipno on the other hand is much more medically oriented.  In that there are frequent quotes from Pliny, Dioscoride and the like.  However, it covers just salads and in great and painstaking detail.

> Parsnips, ramps, beet root, cress, turnip, radishes,  sprouts, fennel,
asparagus, truffles, lettuce, endive, chicory, rocket,  nasturtium,
borage, lemon balm, beans, cauliflower, peas, squash, and  a whole bunch
of herbs.

Sprouts? What kind of Sprouts? Turnip greens or root? Fresh beans, or
bean tendrils? Nasturtium! Wow!

> Sprouts - from a quick look - lupoli, mustard, radishes and similar (I think)
Turnip root is what is described as being used in salads, roasted under the ashes and dressed with oil and vinegar, salt and pepper, he also talks about pickled turnips but says it isn't used in Italy for salads, and mentions the greens as provoking uring when cooked.
Fresh (N. American) Beans were in use by Scappis time and widespread by Castelvetros and Archidipino. The full document on new world foods is avaialable in the Florilegioum (search for A time for change).
On Turkish Beans -
 The bean pod of this bean, when it is young and tender, is at it's most perfect point, cook them all intact and dress them as I have described for hop sprouts *, and they are very good.  When they dry one can make good dishes (minestre), cooking them in the best broth.
* - ben bene sgocciolata in un piatto netto posta, con sale, con assai olio, con poco aceto, od in suo luogo succo di limone, e un poco di pepe franto e non polverizzato l’acconciamo - very well drained in a clean plate with salt, enough oil and a little vinegar, or in place of that lemon juice, and a little cracked but not powdered pepper we dress them.

More food for thought.

Helewyse