[Sca-cooks] learning languages, French specifically

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 24 21:16:54 PST 2007

JehanYves replied to Selene with:
<<<<
 > Nonono, I was not commenting on your persona good sir, but my own
 > whim tolearn switch languages for a bit.
 >
 > Selene
           I often wish that I had the ability to do so. >>>

For those with an interest in picking up a foreign language, perhaps
these files in the EDUCATION section of the Florilegium might be of
interest:
Hist-English-lnks (12K)  1/11/06    Links to info on the history of
the English
                                        language by Dame Aoife Finn
of Ynos Mon.
Ital-Phrases-art   (8K) 11/ 2/02    "Useful Italian phrases from Florio"
                                        by Lord Anton de Stoc.
languages-msg     (78K)  8/25/06    Sources for learning Anglo-Saxon,
Latin.
Latin-msg         (45K)  3/18/99    Learning Latin. Some basics. WWW
course.
Latin-online-art  (15K)  6/10/99    "Learning Latin On-Line" by Gunnora
                                        Hallakarva.

While much of this is on Latin, there is some info about French,
JehanYres in the languages-msg file such as:
======
Subject: Re: [SCA-U] dictionaries/grammars
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 19:02:57 -0500
From: Stephanie Budin <sbudin at SAS.UPENN.EDU>
To: SCA-UNIVERSITAS at LIST.UVM.EDU

         Two English-language text books are:
         W.W. Kibler.  _An introduction to Old French_.  Modern Language
Association of America.  New York.  1984.

         E. Einhorn.  _Old French: A Concise Handbook_.  Cambridge
University Press.  1974.

         Tha latter is a bit difficult to use unless you already know
either modern French or Latin or both.  The former is more of a text
book, but you still need to know quite a bit of French to get through
it,
insofar as he jumps right on into the readings (and you learn the
grammar
along the way, without any emphasis on vocabulary).  These are the only
two I've come across in English.

         The main Old French dictionary is:
         A.J. Greimas.  _Ancien Francais_.  Larousse.  Paris.  1980.

         It goes from Old French to Modern French, and is quite easy to
find on Bookfinder.com.   Otherwise there's:
         C.W. Aspland.  _A Medieval French Reader_.  Oxford at the
Clarendon Press.  1979.

         As it says, it's a reader, but it does have a glossery at
the end
which goes from Old French to English.

         Bonne Chance!
         Azalais
======

I had hoped I would find some recommendations of online courses for
learning French, but I didn't see any.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas