[Sca-cooks] Brown rice syrup?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 25 09:35:52 PST 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Caointiarn wrote:

> [...]

It's probably more of a weird-industrial-ingredient-store thing than
a health-food-store thing, but you can get it from the Honeyville
Grain people at

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/

Basically the stuff is a carb so complex that your body treats it as
fiber, but it looks and behaves a lot like granulated sugar. You
still generally need an artificial sweetener, but when used together,
it's probably the best substitute out there for sugar for baking and
syrups. It does tend to clump up a bit in the presence of moisture,
which makes it ideal for syrups and a little tricky for some baking
applications, but if you mix it thoroughly with the dry ingredients
first, that's not generally a problem.

It's also alleged to be good for ice creams and such, but I haven't
tried it.

The site I mentioned says there is a consumption level whereby it may
have a laxative effect on some people (after all, it's chemically
close to dietary fiber), but it states that that level is something
like 90 grams, which is not a little bit. Three ounces of 100% bran
flakes will probably have the same effect ;-). So, unless you plan to
eat three ounces of the stuff with a spoon, or plan to replace the
cane sugar in what would otherwise be a potentially dangerously
abusive diet anyway (i.e. eating half a cheesecake and feeling
virtuous because you're dieting) with "healthy" options, this
probably won't be an issue.

I'm not a diabetic and don't consistently pursue the really-low-carb
thing, but I do like to avoid the highly-concentrated sugars and
starches because I hate that Thanksgiving-day coma effect. For years
I just thought football was the most boring thing in the world. I
still think that, but now realize that that wasn't what was making me
sleepy.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04