[Sca-cooks] Sweet Sushi with Brown rice syrup

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Sun Feb 25 09:20:28 PST 2007

Last summer I cooked for an international Culture Camp - 5 days of
international vegetarian food for kids ages 5-12 - talk about a challenge!
One of the days was Japan, and we did sushi.  I had the kids help me with
rolling vegetable sushis, they did a great job!  I also made up 'sweet
sushi'.  Someone was concerned that we not give them so much sugar, so I
came up with my own recipe using brown rice syrup and tahini.  It was really
good, not as super sweet as traditional rice treats with marshmallow fluff,
was totally vegan, and cute!
We ended up making up rice balls of the extra mixture, and the kids loved
walking around and munching on them.
Christianna

Fun Sushi Rolls
Recipe by Christine Seelye-King

Ingredients
4 cups crispy brown rice cereal
1 cup brown rice syrup
2/3 cup tahini
healthy dash of vinegar
healthy dash of vanilla
Papaya, dried fruits
fruit leather

Fruit Leather
Blueberries
Applesauce

Blend fruits and dry them in thin layers in a dehydrator, creating sheets of
leather.

Procedure
1.	Grease the back of a 12x17" baking sheet.
2.	Over medium flame, heat up brown rice syrup and tahini, vinegar and
vanilla, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth, thinned out and
bubbling a little.
3.	Pour onto crispy rice cereal in a large bowl and blend well with a
wooden spoon.
4.	It is easiest to work this with wet hands.  Have a bowl of water or
a sink nearby so that you can rinse and re-wet your hands.
5.	Press the mixture onto the sheet and flatten with a wet spatula,
distributing it evenly.
6.	Starting at one side an inch up from the lower edge, place papaya
spears atop the mixture end to end in a horizontal line.
7.	Use the spatula to lift the mixture up off the pan. Gently roll the
lower edge of the mixture over the fruit.
8.	Then stop and cut the log away from the rest of the mixture.
9.	Use the same method to form more logs.
10.	Slice each log into 1 inch-thick "maki" rolls and wrap them
individually with a strip of fruit leather, or roll some up in a ball and
then flatten it out, place the papaya on top and wrap a thin strip of fruit
leather around it for "nigiri".

(I think we also formed them the traditional way of spreading the rice
directly onto the fruit leather, rolling it up and slicing it into maki.)