[Sca-cooks] listing of ingredients...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 25 09:49:43 PST 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 12:11 PM, kimberley lee wrote:

> I am stewarding my first feast this April.  I've been playing for 8
> years and am in my third Kingdom to live it.  My question is this:
> My Event Steward first wanted us to post my recipies.  I talked her
> out of that...then she said that she wanted me to post ALL of my
> ingredients on the website.  I told her that I wasn't sure that I
> wanted to do that either.  I felt that my menu and a link to ask me
> any question or voice any dietary or allergy concerns.  She still
> wants me to post the ingredient list at the event.  She said that
> she had seen this done in the North all the time.  I don't
> know...I'm a southern girl and have only played in Ansteorra, Glenn
> Ahbann, and Meridies.
>
>   Is this a common practice in the North?
>   Should I list even the unpronouncable ingredients?
>
>   I think that she is mainly wanting a list of my spices.  I season
> to taste and at the last minute may want to add a little cinnamon
> to a dish.
>
>   Should I list every possible spice whether or not I actually use it?
>
>   I'm confused!  Though I am a picky eater, I taste what ever is
> put in front of me and if I think there might be a strawberry on
> the plate, I avoid it like the plague.  These are things that I
> concern myself with, I have never gone to the feast steward and
> told them..hey don't put...I don't know...um...cheese in anything
> cause I might die.
>
>   Is this a common occurance as well?
>
>   All we want to do is put together a period feast filled with
> foods that everyone will at least try.  I didn't realize that there
> would be acrobatic hoop jumping....lol.
>
>   Thank you for letting me rant...and I would appreciate your ideas
> as to how best display all of my ingredients.

Well, while it may appear your event steward is acting out some kind
of control fantasy, one could argue that it makes sense. It can also
be difficult to forecast with perfect accuracy what will go into all
the dishes on the day of the event. I'd say your best bet is to post
your menu with an ingredients list per dish that is clearly
identified as *tentative*, provide an updated dry-erase board (or
equivalent) on the kitchen door as changes are made, post your
changes there, and have a herald or somebody like that remind people
to check the board if they have serious allergy issues.

I actually like to assume that whatever ingredients list I publish in
advance is pretty well binding on me, and part of the challenge, and
therefore the fun, is playing the game within the set rules and
changing not the ingredients, but their proportions, to change the
dish. But I think my suggestion is probably a pretty good compromise,
for all that I'm not a Southern girl myself ;-).

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04