[Sca-cooks] listing of ingredients...

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 25 10:07:38 PST 2007

kimberley lee wrote:

>She still wants me to post the ingredient list at the event.  She said that she had seen this done in the North all the time.  I don't know...I'm a southern girl and have only played in Ansteorra, Glenn Ahbann, and Meridies.
>
>  Is this a common practice in the North?

Yes -- at least in my neck of the woods.

>  Should I list even the unpronouncable ingredients?

I usually put something like chicken broth (canned) on the list, and
keep a copy of the label, perhaps taped to an index card.  If someone
asks about sodium di-whoosiwhatzit, it will be easy for them to find out.

>  I think that she is mainly wanting a list of my spices.  I season to taste and at the last minute may want to add a little cinnamon to a dish.

There is one gentle in my barony who would have to be rushed to the
hospital if cinnamon appeared unexpectedly in a dish.  We have a couple
of others who would have serious reactions to pepper.

>    Should I list every possible spice whether or not I actually use it?

If you are cooking for a feast, I think you should decide on your spices
in advance.  This is one of the reasons I test recipes before the
feast.  You can "spice to taste" by adjusting quantites and proportions
in the feast kitchen,.

>  All we want to do is put together a period feast filled with foods that everyone will at least try.

A wonderful and laudable goal.  Having your ingredient list available on
the day of the event will make people with health concerns more
confident about trying your food.

--

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom