[Sca-cooks] listing of ingredients...

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Tue Feb 27 15:08:11 PST 2007

K C Francis wrote:

>Here in the West, it is quite common for the menu distributed at the feast
>to have a *complete* list of ingredients for each dish.  And, when asked
>(read begged), the cooks always post their recipe sources and recipies.  I
>cannot understand why one would NOT want to make it possible for everyone to
>safely enjoy what they eat at a feast.

I don't not post recipes/ingredients because I don't want people to eat
safely.  I don't want people to use an ingredients list alone to decide
what they can eat.  I want them to contact me before the feast so that I
can either do what it takes to ensure that they get a good meal without
allergy problems or recommend other arrangements.

>Nor why one would not want to share
>the recipies.

I have no objection to sharing recipes, but for one thing, I do not
consistently convert recipes in a modern format, and for another, I
don't usually have time to do a full writeup.  I do make recipes
available by other methods after a feast.

>People are allergic to all sorts of things and these
>ingredients can appear in unexpected dishes.  AND that is just in modern
>restaurants.  Please be kind to your feasting public and share this most
>important information.  Perhaps for large feasts, adding new ingredients as
>you taste isn't appropriate.

It also isn't likely to be a problem if you know what all the food
issues are beforehand.

>Just my two cents.  Even though I can eat everything with no problems, I
>have many friends with allergies and all they ask is to know which dishes
>they should avoid.  Oh, and noone ever asks for special treatment at a
>feast, though most cooks will provide some special veggie dishes if the
>feast is heavy on meats.

I'll do special dishes up to a point-- like if it's going to make the
difference between a good meal and a marginal one for people with food
issues.  I don't consider that to be special treatment.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?