[Sca-cooks] herb seasoning question

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Wed Feb 28 17:24:30 PST 2007

At 04:30 PM 2/28/2007,Susan Fox said something like:

>Full recipe please?  I'm in the mood for Nice.
>
>Selene

It calls for large carp (skined, boned), sheeps tail (minced), fresh
ginger, onions, pepper, mandarin orange peel, black pepper, and kasni
(asafoetida).

The directions say: [To the] ingredients [other than the carp] add salt.
Add to the fish and work meat. Roll into cakes like crossbow bullets. Fry
in vegetable oil.

I ended up using a firm flesh fish (the chinese butcher and I each agreed
that Americans wouldn't eat REAL carp).  One time I used tilapia and
another time I used redfin? red-something fish.

I then used a very fatty piece of chivo (either goat or mutton, depending
on translation), run through a meat grinder. This step is very important.
If I ran it through just a food processor I ended up with long nasty
strings of tendon that were even nastier in the finished product.

Fresh ginger, easy.

Onion, I used a yellow onion very finely chopped (for the feast where this
was prepared I actually ran it through the meat grinder with the fish and
the chivo).

I had tried to find long pepper, but that never happened. For this event I
used mostly black pepper with a little dusting of nutmeg (I've deleted my
notes for this event, but I was trying to simulate the flavor of a
something or other pepper plant).

Mandarin orange peel was grated fresh (I preferred the taste of the fresh
oily peel as to the dried peel).

There was about a half teaspoon of asafoetida used per 2 lbs of meat, or so.

Grind the meats, mix in the other things. I shaped them into bullet shapes
about the size of my thumb, then deep fried.

For that particular event I served it with a dipping sauce on the side that
was not documentable in any way, but since it tasted good, I used it.  The
sauce was soya, sugar, vinegar and toasted sesame oil (mix well, adjust to
taste).

Good luck!
Maggie