[Sca-cooks] Onion Juice???

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 11:41:55 PST 2007

Thanks to everyone for solutions...I tried the business of forcing it
through the sieve, but that would take a VERY long time and lots of energy.
Using a cheese cloth might work better.  The thing is...I REMEMBER seeing
onion juice in stores years ago...and I even found a reference to McCormicks
onion juice online...but couldn't find a store that sold it!

The recipe is:

6 eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons cilantro, crushed
4 teaspoons onion juice
5/8 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon coriander, ground
3 teaspoons soy sauce
3 teaspoons sesame oil
salt

1.    Boil eggs whole in hot water.

2.    Put them in cold water until cool.

3.    Shell, then split them in half with a thread.

4.    Remove the yolks, and set yolks and whites aside.

5.    Puree cilantro. (I used a cilantro paste in a tube that I
found...worked really well.)

6.    Mix cilantro with pepper and coriander.

7.    Beat all this together with oil and just a little salt.

8.    Mash the yolks with the seasoned liquid until it forms a paste.

9.    Stuff the whites with this.

10.    Fasten egg halves together, insert a small stick into each egg, and
sprinkle them with pepper.

The recipe comes from "The Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook, trans. Charles
Perry.  I got it from Urtatim, but came up with the quantities myself.

Kiri