[Sca-cooks] Onion Juice???

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 6 11:40:57 PST 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 2:21 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Friends,
> I have a recipe for stuffed eggs (Middle Eastern) that calls for onion
> juice.  I have looked in grocery stores as far away as northern VA,
> and made
> a search on the Web, and cannot find it.  Any ideas?  I don't own a
> juicer
> or I could make my own.  I tried taking an onion, reducing it to a
> pulp with
> my food processor, then mashed it through a sieve to get the
> juice.  I could
> do that, I guess...but it produces a REALLY thick juice, and it's
> really
> difficult to do...especially to make over 100 eggs!
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!

You could try using your food processor to grate an onion or two
(rather than just pureeing them with the main blade), and putting the
pulp into a clean kitchen towel ( not terrycloth -- this is like
Doc's suggestion re cheesecoth, but kitchen towels are no stranger to
food stains and are much stronger), and squeeze by hand as much as
you can get out of them.

Depending on the size of your towel, you can either pull up the
corners until you have enough towel all around to twist the top like
a drawstring bag, or roll it up and twist the ends like the wrappers
for saltwater taffy.

You'd be surprised at how much juice you can get. Works great for
finely chopped mushrooms you need to saute until dry, too: cook the
juice first on high heat to reduce to a glaze, then add the mushrooms
to the pan; takes about a quarter of the time. I man, should you ever
need such a thing...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782