[Sca-cooks] Period German menus

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 20:45:00 PST 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 11:16 PM, Cat . wrote:
> 'banquets for farmers' though
> these last I belive should be taken with a large
grain
> of salt.

Maybe not. For example, isn't a Hungarian boyar
basically a rancher
of sorts? Yes, he's holding a lot of land, is a de
facto thegn, and
is a farmer who raises cows. Problem???

Adamantius

OOO had not thought of that aspect, THANKS I learn
something new every time I go on this list.

At the time I was imagening the typical rural small
farmer (a dozen cows, ditto pigs, more chickens, land
to feed them and family and a little spare) of the
kind I spent a childhood vacation with (he still
milked the cows by hand, yes I learned how ;-)

The entry was one of my VERY EARLIEST A&S attempts
(98.. wow), so I would do things somewhat differently
now.

http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASsp99_1.htm

to quote:

The menu was chosen based on a breakfast on a meat day
from "Four banquets of the Farmers" in "Ein New
Kochbuch."

The first course included soup with sliced beef,
boiled beef, and bird;
The second course, the fried meats, included fried
mutton, fried chickens and bratwurst. As a condiment
to the fried dishes he suggests sour red beets.
The third course consists of a dish of sauerkraut
ringed with bratwurst.
The fourth course is a "preserved old chicken" – I
have not found his recipe for this, yet!
The fifth course is a salad.
The sixth course is the fruits, nuts, cheese, baked
things, and cakes.

In Service
Gwen Cat
itching to play with more of the menus now...