[Sca-cooks] Period German menus

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 07:29:00 PST 2007

> Do you know anything more about the Hungarian torte with many leaves
> (layers), that sounds interesting.  I wonder if it has a meat filling
> or is sweet?

Greetings,

>From what I have been able to determine - a Hungarian Torte is more of
a method of making a pie/tart than a specific dish. As good Giano
posted his redaction, it seems to be a pie with a specific type of
lower crust, a filling and then lidded with the equivalent of puff
pastry as opposed to your standard two crust pie.

I have seen different recipies in Rumpoldt for Hungarian Torte with
any number of different fillings, if you are looking for something
specific - let me know and I will see if I can find it. I had good
luck with that when planning my feast. There are tons of recipies for
Dumpling/Meatballs and I decided I wanted to do a lamb meatball. I
looked through the chapter on lamb - and voila there was a lamb
meatball recipie. (sort of, actually it said to make lamb meatballs
referr to earlier chapter on veal - but they were delish - prepared
braised in an almond sauce).

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva