[Sca-cooks] Period German menus

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Feb 8 09:12:01 PST 2007

>  I need to organize the site again, better... but Im
>not sure what would be better.

Since I was looking at Dr. Gloning's site, I don't think its your problem.

>He has that Zugemuess chapter that has 200+ recipes for various
>veggies (ok, he included noodles, rice and eggs in there too)

I have to see that chapter.  There are so very many recipes, that it
just occurred to me yesterday when I looked at page numbers, that the
book had EVEN MORE than I had seen.

>That said, I see some modern conventions and some very
>nice period things in your menu.

That's why I wanted another look at the menus.  I started this menu
several years ago, and thought I could just update it, but the more I
got into it, the more I was unhappy with how much I knew.  I'll have
to submit the bid before I can finish the research.  Right now I want
the outline of the meal, and I can test cook and choose specific
recipes later.

Some of the limitations I've been given, are to work with the
preferences of royalty for plain meats, honey butter, and no spinach
or cabbage (and I'm doing a German feast!!!) So I'll cook the meats
simply and serve sauces on the side. Our baroness is celiac, so the
menu needs to be friendly to that. I'll probably make small portions
of the tarts, cooked without the crust.  The menu is rather
meat-heavy but I'm vegetarian myself, and think its reasonably
vegetarian friendly.  I might do an extra veggie tart.

>If you get the bid, when and where would this feast be?

Red Dragon, Tirnewydd, Midrealm, Columbus, Ohio, Sept 21-22, 2007
The Site is Camp Mary Orton, which we have used for the last few
years. We have the site for Friday as well this year, so that should
help a lot.

The feast hall is rather rustic, very open and nice.  They have
plastic chairs, but otherwise it has a very good ambiance, wood
floors, and lots of windows.  Much nicer than the school they used to
use. The kitchen is old but big. I believe the stove has two ovens
and six burners.  There is a large cooler, a huge island work surface
and a large grill outside.

My cooking plan is to get everything settled Friday, make the
marinated veggies and cold sauces, make the tart crusts and fillings.
Saturday morning bake tarts and bread, arrange the cold plates and
the confits and such, cook the pork slowly, make dumplings.  Just
before the feast, cook the chicken, and fish pies, rice and hot
veggies, when the chicken comes out, put in the pork to reheat and
cook the dumplings.

Ranvaig