[Sca-cooks] larding needle; when would you use it?

Ysabeau lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 12:46:52 PST 2007

I'll take a stab at this ~grin~

Back in the day, beef cattle were typically free range resulting in leaner
beef. You would lard beef to give it more flavor and moisture, particularly
in roasts. The same goes for venison. I'm guessing that the recipes you have
are for roasting the meat rather than pan frying or stewing. As the roast
heats up, the fat melts basting the meat from the inside.

Ysabeau