[Sca-cooks] Period Flour Query and shortbread

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Feb 11 01:28:52 PST 2007

>Actually we know that shortbreads were being eaten in Scotland
>in 1608. The Earl of Angus's dated household accounts of 1608 record
>that in one instance shortbreads were purchased; in another flour was
>sent out for their baking.

That tells us that something called shortbread was being eaten; it
doesn't tell us what it was.

Blancmange and gingerbread were being eaten in 15th c. England,
Syllabub in 17th century England, Harisa in 13th c. al Islam--and in
all four cases the dish was quite different from the later dish with
the same name.
--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com