[Sca-cooks] Period Flour Query and shortbread

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Feb 11 04:36:10 PST 2007

But given that Scotland did not produce a printed recipe book
until 1736, the household accounts that are located in the National Library
are what we have. Or we can
use the 18th century recipes as the earliest ones that are available.
Or we can use those English recipes that are said to be "short" in their
making
keeping in mind that short indicates that the cake or bread crumbled.
Geddes, Olive M. The Laird’s Kitchen. Three Hundred Years of Food in
Scotland. Edinburgh: HMSO;
The National Library of Scotland, 1994. discusses the lack of culinary
sources
in Scotland. Johnnae

Actually we know that shortbreads were being eaten in Scotland in 1608.
The Earl of Angus's dated household accounts of 1608 record that in one
instance shortbreads were purchased; in another flour was sent out for
their baking.