[Sca-cooks] Crab recipe was Intro from new person and my first quest for the perfect recipe...

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 12 06:16:30 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
<<<<//To dresse a Crabe. Fyrste take awaye all the legges and the heades,
and then take all the fysh out of the shelle, and make the shell as
cleane as ye canne, and putte the meate into a dysche, and butter it
uppon a chafyng dysche of coles and putte therto synamon and suger and a
lytle vyneger, and when ye haue chafed it and seasoned it, then putte
the meate in the shelle agayne and bruse the heades, and set them upon
the dysche syde and serue it.

This can be found at
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/thomas.gloning/tx/bookecok.htm
The book that it is from is a favorite of mine. A Proper Newe Booke of
Cokerye
was first published in 1545. This is from the undated (circa 1557) edition.

I am not sure about trying to restuff all 10 pounds of the crab back
into the legs of
the king crab, but maybe one or two could be done.   > > > > > >

If you could find a King Crab back shell, this could be a really spectacular
presentation.  Cleaned really well, it would make a decent sized serving
dish/platter for the crab dyshe above.  Prolly need more than one for the 10
pound cluster of legs if you use them all.

niccolo difrancesco
(man, starting out teasing us with inexpensive crab . . . . )