[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP From today's NY Times Food section...

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Feb 15 09:39:14 PST 2007

> > He Cooks. She Stews. It?s Love.
[snip]
> > If there were a clinical diagnosis for her problem, it might be
> > called beta cook disorder. Even though Ms. Edwards blithely
> > prepared flank steak for dinner parties when she was in college,
> > she is now married to someone who takes charge in the kitchen: an
> > alpha cook.

I used to think I was a beta cook, myself. But... well, there are some
things I can't let pass. When Christopher and I were together, I had to
leave the room when he made Savory Toasted Cheese. On the other hand,
there are a lot of things my roomate Sarah does in her cooking that I
just nod and smile.

I'm a naturally critical person. Most of that comes out in my position
at home as the Alpha Shopper. I try very hard not to ever comment on
anything Sarah picks up at the store because she freaks out-- we've
mostly come to terms with the fact that I'm allowed to do most of the
shopping because it saves us money, but that's not Sarah's preferred
shopping mode.

We also have alpha/beta stuff about food choice-- my ingrained
nutritional information comes from Home Ec and 4-H, Sarah's comes from
Weight Watchers and diet books, and Juergen's from who-knows-where. My
formative years were spent on the farm, Sarah's in the city and suburbs.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net