[Sca-cooks] Period Flour Query

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 18 14:03:55 PST 2007

Bear commented:
  <<< I forgot to include rice, which was pretty widely cultivated
around the
Mediterranean by 900 CE.  And I didn't get around to digressing into
milling, boulting and all those wonderful things. >>>

Yes, I noticed you really didn't go into milling or flours. Which is
why you nice summation has been saved for the Florilegium grains-msg
file instead of the flour-msg file. :-)

We have talked before some about milling, but not that much about
boulting. I like to hear more about this sometime.  Was this done
with particular weaves of cloth stretched between frames? Using
similar cloth in sacks? Was the size of the weave, and hence the
fineness of the flour regulated? in the assizes of grain, perhaps?

Stefan

mills-msg          (7K)  1/ 6/00    Period water, wind and animal
powered mills.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/mills-msg.html
querns-msg        (18K) 11/27/06    Small hand mills for grinding
grains.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/querns-msg.html
mortar-pestle-msg (12K)  3/26/05    Mortar and pestles. Sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/mortar-pestle-msg.html
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com