[Sca-cooks] period flour query

Arianwen ferch Arthur caer_mab at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 22:44:09 PST 2007

Modern and post period, but there is a cookbook out
there  called "the flour is different"  based on
immigrang (German?) ooks trying to cook in the US.  I
have found that adaptations need to be made becasue
the flour is different.  (Mainly, I think, because of
the different amounts of gluten in the different kinds
of wheat.)  I also remember reading something about
the French women sent out to help populate the new
world refusing to make do with corn meal as the
"English" were doing...

I also know that we (US) are confusing with our bread
flour, all-purpose, and cake flour (haven't seen that
lately)  (and of course that last time the students
made cookies they grabbed the bag, clearly labeled
self raising...

Arianwen ferch Arthur
"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog it's too dark to read." G. Marx