[Sca-cooks] Period Flour Query

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 8 19:41:21 PST 2007

Aldyth asked:

<<< I know it might be a lot to ask.  I tried looking thru the Flory
thingie.
:-)) and didn't find it so here goes.  Is there a list of  flour(s)
available
in period (the 500-1650 thing) for cooks?  I would like  to put it
into a class
I want to teach for my cooks guild. >>>

If you were looking for a list of period flours or flour types, then
no I don't think there is anything like that currently in the
Florielgium. There are some files on flours and grains in the FOOD-
BREADS-GRAINS section. Just in case you didn't see them:
Ancent-Grains-art (24K)  5/30/01    "Looking into Ancient Grains" by
Mistress
                                        Christianna MacGrain.
flour-msg         (86K)  6/26/06    Types of flour. Sources. Period
flour.
grains-msg        (82K)  3/28/06    Medieval grains. Recipes. Cooking.
maize-msg         (62K)  1/11/06    Discovery of maize (Indian corn)
in the
                                        Americas and its introduction
to Europe.

Are you including just grains or are you including nut flours as well?

<<< Many years ago  I attended a Known World
Collegium that featured many different flours done up  in shortbread
as a
taste demonstration. I thought it would be a wonderful thing  to do
again.  If it
could be broken down by area/cuisine it would be even  better. >>>

I was wondering how you were tasting these. I didn't think eating
spoonfuls of flour would go over that well. At least not as well as
spoonfuls of cookie dough. :-) I suspect that some flours are better
in shortbread than others, yet these others being better in different
dishes. So I'm wondering if this might be somewhat like comparing
apples to oranges.  A soft flour might be much better than semolina
flour in shortbread, yet the soft flour probably doesn't make good
pasta.  I haven't got a better suggestion for a single item for all
the flours though.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas