[Sca-cooks] Rice Flour was Period Flour Query

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Feb 9 04:06:43 PST 2007

Rice Flour actually shows up in medieval English recipes.
To make floure Rys appears in the Harl. Mss 279 Leche Vyaundez
page 38 in Two fifteenth-century cookery-books :
Harleian MS. 279 (ab 1430), & Harl. MS. 4016 (ab. 1450)

xxij - For to make floure Rys. Take Rys, an lese hem clene; then drow
hem wyl in the Sonne, that they ben drye; than bray hem smal y-now; and
therow a crees bunte syfte hem, and for defaute of a bonte, take a Renge.

Johnnae

Aldyth at aol.com wrote: snipped