[Sca-cooks] Cheese Poll

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 18:22:15 PST 2007

Ian Kusz wrote:

since two of my favorite cheeses are from France (chevre and roquefort), I'd have to say France.  One of the reasons I loooove chevre is that Papa Haydn's used to make this Chevre du Pate of chevre cheese with almonds mixed
in, in a sort of glob, surrounded by pickled grape leaves....hmmmmmm....I'm hungry.

Don't blame hunger pains but anything with almonds surrounded by pickled grape leaves in my book sounds like a Hispano-Arab Spain innovation to Europe. I think you also mention roquefort which is mighty debatable. Its like the chicken and the egg story. Who invented "Cabrales," in Spain, which is rather same as Roquefort in other places, the Spanish or French pilgrims on the Way to St James? I think cheese history goes much further back than Papa Haydn. . .
	Does anyone know, did Chevre du Pate come from Baghdad? Is roquefort actually from Asturias or Roquefort?