[Sca-cooks] philosophical salad question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 21 20:34:50 PST 2007

Jadwiga asked:
<<< I've been doing a lot of salads lately for events and things.
Mostly,
because I don't think enough people experience a medieval-type salad
often enough, and I think it's good to show them what it's like. I
haven't done a lot of sops or boiled greens on toast, though.

Since it's unclear how often salads were served, should I try to limit
how often I make salad in the SCA? >>>

Well handwashing, which you've also been pushing, still isn't that
common throughout the SCA, although it appears to be much more common
in period. When either get so common that folks start thinking "not
again", then you can worry about limiting them.  Even then, it may be
like armored turnips were, very common in the East Kingdom, but
almost unheard of elsewhere. Even then it may mean not an elimination
of that food item but moving on to similar dishes, such as is
beginning to happen with Sekanjabin.

I have a general message file on salads. I would welcome an article
on specific salads or types of salads.

I much prefer most medieval salads to almost all the modern salads
I've had, and the few I really liked resembled medieval salads.

Stefan
"philosophical salad"? Sounds like one made with some of that funny
weed...
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com