[Sca-cooks] Period Flour Query

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 22 22:35:18 PST 2007

Tamis is a derivative of the Old English temse, which means sieve.  A little
checking suggest that the small drum sieve is primarily a home appliance.  A
larger version was used in some small mills, but the drum sieve is not
designed for producing a high volume of flour.  I've come across a couple of
descriptions that describe bolting by forming a bag from the bolting cloth,
which was then filled with meal and beaten to produce flour.  And I've also
encountered a description of a tubular cloth bolter worked by two men.  Just
for fun, here is an essay on grist milling that contains a description of an
18th Century automated bolter:
http://www.engr.psu.edu/mtah/essays/histbeth/gristmilling.html .

Bear