[Sca-cooks] Tamas was Period Flour Query

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 23 05:33:37 PST 2007

On Feb 22, 2007, at 11:32 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> I own a tamis. Paid less than $30 for one back in 2004 from
> Bridge Kitchenware Corp. New York, NY
> http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/
>
> Product #: BTMS-3020
> http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=977
>
> "Made entirely by hand in France, these wood trimmed drum sieves
> (Tamis)
> are used for large quantities of sauces, purees, pates or to remove
> lumps from sugar, flour, spices, etc. On the sizes listed, the first
> number represents the weave count (per centimeter) of the mesh; the
> second number is the diameter, also in centimeters."
>
> Johnnae

I've also got one from a Chinese grocery, but I've used large
aluminum-sided ones in professional kitchens.

This makes me wonder about bolting-cloth and how it was used, since
it's evident that, from the similar term, tammy-cloth, there is no
tammy/tamis without the cloth or other mesh; the round thing is just
there to enable use of the mesh which is the actual tamis. Is bolting-
cloth similarly attached to a hoop of some sort?

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04