[Sca-cooks] Brown rice syrup?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 24 16:40:00 PST 2007

On Feb 24, 2007, at 7:33 PM, Kathleen Madsen wrote:

> While restocking my pantry from my recent move I found
> in our local Safeway a product called Brown Rice
> Syrup.  It was right next to the molassas and Karo
> corn syrup.  I'm guessing it's just another sugar
> alternative but more natural than the little pink and
> blue packets.  Has anyone tried it?  What would you
> use it for?  Does it have a distinctively different
> taste?

If it's what I think it is, it's used in some Chinese cookery, and is
basically maltose syrup made by any of a number of processes, but
instead of barley being the grain source, it's brown rice. It can
also be used to make rice wine or beer...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04