[Sca-cooks] Brown rice syrup?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 25 06:14:09 PST 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 8:41 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> So then, what you are saying is that I might even be able to use it to
> replace the syrups that some things need that I can use Splenda
> for...and
> avoid the sugar/carb thing that I have to do for my diabetes??
>
> Kiri

Corinne Netzer's "Food Counts" lists rice syrup (Lundberg NutraFarmed/
Organic) as 42 grams of carbohydrates per 1/4 cup. By comparison, 1/4
cup of honey is about 68 grams, maple syrup 52.

I think that using it as a _sucrose_ substitute may not necessarily
make it the best across-the-board _sugar_ substitute. It may be
better for you than sucrose, but perhaps not as much better as we'd
hope for.

Or maybe there are other considerations of which I'm unaware, and I'm
mistaken.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04