[Sca-cooks] Brown rice syrup?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 25 08:31:50 PST 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 11:07 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Thanks, guys.  I hadn't really looked at it as a full replacement for
> Splenda...just one that I could perhaps use when I need the
> consistency of a
> syrup.  However, I did locate a simple syrup online (don't remember
> the URL
> at the moment) that is sugar free and could work.  It's from the
> same place
> that I get things like the syrups I sometimes use in coffee.  They
> also make
> a honey substitute that works pretty well when honey is called
> for...not
> quite as good, but it works.
>
> Most of the time, however, I look at how much honey is called for in
> proportion to the other ingredients.  If it's just a tiny
> bit...like the 2
> Tablespoons a stew recipe I have uses (recipe makes probably 8
> servings)...I
> just go ahead and use the real stuff.

I can highly recommend polydextrose combined with Splenda
(polydextrose provides the bulk and mouth feel, but doesn't taste
very sweet) for both syrups and baking. You can even caramelize it...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04